Our May releases are available! Did you already listen to them? The Independent did and attributed 4 stars to Henryk Górecki’s works performed by the Schonberg Ensemble!
You can read the review below and click on the links to this month’s releases for more information about the works, composers and performers.
“This is a rather Messiaen-ic study in contrasts: the opening five minutes is almost supernaturally calm and quiet, suddenly shattered by a shrill burst of violins and chimes that disappears as enigmatically as it appeared, shifting between extremes of amplitude; in the second movement, a brash tumult of horns gives way to solitary clarinet, underpinned by doomy piano monochord, while the finale is almost completely stationary and barely audible, a still string pad with wanly tolling chimes.
“Lerchenmusik” features a similarly startling blend of calm and stridency, before the final movement offers a gloss on the theme of Beethoven’s 4th Piano Concerto.” By Andy Gill
This month’s Newton Classics releases include:
- Górecki’s Kleines Requiem and Lerchenmusik by the Schonberg Ensemble
- Operatic arias by Beethoven, Verdi, Wagner and Weber performed by Gré Brouwenstijn
- Stravinsky’ complete works for violin and piano by Olli Mustonen and Isabell van Keulen
- Brahms’ Four Symphonies performed by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra under Carlo Maria Giulini
- Beethoven’s Violin Concerto and cadenzas by Alfred Schnittke performed by Gidon Kremer
- Bach’s Symphonies Opp. 6, 9, 18 by the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra under David Zinman
We hope you will enjoy them! Do not hesitate to share your comments on this blog.